Upper Mustang "The Ancient Kingdom" Trek - 14 Days
Trekking Destination:Upper Mustang
Season/Availability: March-May, September-November
Style: Tea house Trekking
Minimum Altitude: 2800m Jomsom
Maximum Altitude: 4000m Lo-Manthang
Group Size:Min 2
Accommodation: Tourist standard hotel accommodation in cities and simple lodge during trekking
Transport: Car / Bus/Domestic Flight
Meals: Breakfast in Kathmandu/Pokhara and all meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek
Total Days: 14 days (Kathmandu-Kathmandu)
Trekking Days: 11 days (Jomsom-Jomsom)
Walking Hours: 5-6 hrs a day
Highlights:Jomsom valley, Kagbeni, Lo-Manthang, Ancient kingdom, Colorful Villages, Ancient Tibetan Buddhist Monasteries, Chorten, Cave areas, Tibetan culture in Nepal
Major Mountain peaks:Nilgiri, Dhaulagiri, Annapurna, Tilicho, Tukuche
The domestic flights are from Pokhara-Jomsom and Jomsom-Pokhara
Jomsom valley, Kagbeni, Lo-Manthang, Ancient kingdom, Colorful Villages, Ancient Tibetan Buddhist Monasteries, Chorten, Cave areas, Tibetan culture in Nepal
Major Mountain peaks: Nilgiri, Dhaulagiri, Annapurna, Tilicho, Tukuche
Upper Mustang (Lo-Manthang, an Ancient Kingdom) in Mustang district is the mysterious and isolated region of the Nepalese Himalayas.Trekking to upper mustang is famous as it is an ancient kingdom. In addition, it has unique and rich Tibetan culture and tradition, barren topography and beautiful landscape of Mountains. Upper Mustang used to be an independent kingdom of the local community (Bhote/Thakali).Lo-Manthang was a walled capital and was ruled by various religious kings until Kingdom of Nepal became a Secular and Republic country in 2008.The kingdom was ancient and one of the most preserved in the world. This Buddhist kingdom was founded by Ame Pal in 1380 AD.
Mustang is divided into Upper Mustang and Lower Mustang. The starting point Jomsom falls in lower mustang and the destination Lo-Manthang is in upper mustang. Upper mustang was restricted and also called the last Forbidden kingdom as tourists were not allowed to enter until 1992. After multi-party democracy in Nepal, tourism in upper mustang was opened for tourists and regulated but now was under the control mechanism of Nepal Government and Trekking Agencies’ Association of Nepal (TAAN). It was restricted because of sensitive Nepal-Tibet border & Khampa Revolution issues and also for various other reasons such as for the protection & preservation of the historical and religious culture and monuments from ancient times and environment concerns and. As these regions are under the controlled area, a special permit worth $500 for first 10 days is needed from the government of Nepal to visit this region. However, Lower mustang is open for everyone for tour and trekking to Jomsom, Muktinath and Annapurna Circuit. You only need ACAP and TIMS permit.
As upper mustang is isolated and less explored, trekking to this region gives the unique opportunity to experience tibetan culture and tradition, ancient Buddhist Monasteries, and colorful villages. It also offers beautiful Mountain View which takes this trekking to different level. We can enjoy the scenic view of Mt. Dhaulagiri I (8,167m/7th highest), Mt. Annapurna I (8,091m/10th highest), and Mt. Nilgiri (7061m). These unique features makes this place one of the sought after places in Nepal.
Upper mustang was an ancient trade route between Nepal and Tibet till 1950. Upper mustang lies in the rain shadow of the Himalaya and has a Trans-himalayan climate.
To begin the 11 day Upper Mustang Trekking, we need to drive to Pokhara, a lake city also known as trekking capital, form Kathmandu. Pokhara is the gateway to a lot of popular trekking in Nepal. After staying overnight in Pokhara, we then take a morning flight to Jomsom to start the trek. After reaching Lo-Manthang, the final destination of this trek, we then retrace to Jomsom to complete our trek and fly back to Pokhara for refreshment
Drive to Pokhara 900m/7 hrs drive & evening walk around Lakeside (Overnight stay at hotel in Pokhara on B/B plan)
Fly to Jomsom from Pokhara (2720m/25 min) and Trek to Kagbeni (2810m/3-4 hrs walk)
Trek to Chaile (3050m/6-7 hrs walk)
Trek to Shyangboche (3475m/6-7hrs)
Trek to Ghami (3520m/ 6-7hrs walk)
Trek to Tsarang(3560m/5-6hrs walk)
Trek to Lo-Manthang (3810m/4-5hrs walk)
Excursion Day in Lo-Manthang (Exploring villages and king’s palace)
Trek to Drakmar (3880m/6-7 hrs walk) via GharGompa (3950m)
Trek to Geling (3570m/5-6 hrs walk)
Trek to Chhuksang (2920m/5-6 hrs walk)
Trek to Jomsom (2713m/6-7hrs walk)
Morning flight to Pokhara and Leisure day in Pokhara
(Overnight stay at hotel in Pokhara on B/B plan)
Drive back to Kathmandu
The following costs are included in the package.
- 3 Nights accommodation in star category hotel in Pokhara on B/B plan
- Pokhara Sight seeing
- All ground transportation by tourist bus/van/car/taxi
- Round trip flight ticket from Pokhara to Jomsom and Jomsom to Pokhara worth USD 220.00 per person (the flight fare may vary)
- Meals on full board (3 meals a day) during the trek (breakfast, lunch, dinner – only one meal at a time)
- All accommodation during trek
- All necessary paper works, Special Permit worth USD 500.00 per person for first 10 days and $50 per day for extra days, ACAP and Trekking Information Management System (TIMS) permit.
- Domestic airport Tax
- All government taxes
- One English speaking Guide (Trained and License holder) – All Nepali staff’s Salary, insurance, Air ticket
- Medical supplies (first aid kit)
The following costs are excluded in the package.
- Meals in Kathmandu and Pokhara
- Your personal travel/trekking Insurance
- International airfare and airport tax
- Nepal entry visa fee
- Rescue operation charges in case of emergency
- All the bar bills such as alcoholic drinks or beverages like Coke, Fanta, mineral water, juice
- Laundry service – Hot water, Hot shower during trek and other personal expenses like shopping
- Personal equipments for Trekking
- Expenses of extra adventure, donations to Monasteries
- Entrance Fees in Monasteries and at other entry points
- Tips for Guide and porters
- Cost incurred due to mishaps, strikes, political unrest etc.
Any others expenses which are not mentioned on Price Includes section
We would like to advise you to arrange your travel insurance before leaving your Place. It is very important to make sure that your insurance covers you for both medical and evacuation costs. In some places it is not necessary but it would be better if you have the travel insurance with you all times. It will make your trip safe and hassle free.
(Things you need to carry)
- Trekking Backpack
- Down Jacket – 1
- Waterproof/Windproof Jacket – 1
- Trekking shoes/boots & light sandal -1
- Trekking Sticks – 2
- Hiking pants/shorts (windproof) – 3/2
- Hiking shirts (full/half sleeve) – 3/2
- Thick Gloves/Socks – 1/3-4 pairs (gloves only needed in winter)
- Warm inner ware (thermal coat) – 1 set (in winter)
- Sleeping bag – 1 (in winter/optional)
- Sun hat/Woolen cap -1
- Sunglass -1
- Sunblock -1
- Head torch/flash light -1
- Personal towel -1
- Water bottle
- Camera and batteries
- The trip cost may vary depending on the group size, duration of trek, the category of hotel in cities and service requirements.
- The itinerary is modifiable as per needs, time frame & budget of trekkers.
- Cost will be re-calculated if the itinerary is modified to only more days.
- Cost won’t be refunded if you decide to finish you trek in lesser days (by walking more hrs) or want to return back without completing trek because of any reasons after you confirmed the trek
- Additional activities may be added as per trekkers request with appropriate additional cost.
- The cost may also be affected as per the requirement of number of guides and porters.
- For any kind of inquiry please contact us by email or give us a call.
Please note that sometimes weather conditions in the Himalayas can be a problem. Bad weather often results delay or cancelation of Pokhara-Jomsom-Pokhara flight by a few hours or for some days. Considering such case of delays, you must be prepared to wait either at Pokhara or Jomsom airports. We would also like to suggest you to add some extra days (1-2 days) in your trip to accommodate such delays. We can also arrange Jeep or local transportation from Pokhara to Jomsom and vice versa to avoid such delays in bad weather condition